Between month 3 and month 12, Babies start teething: their teeth start coming through their gums. This results in lots of pain and sleepless nights.
This is noteworthy because, if at about 4 months of age, Baby (who is otherwise really calm) starts crying and crying for no reason — this is likely the cause.
There are some signs that the cause of the crying might be teething. These include:
- Crying and crying during times he rarely does, and the usual methods to calm him down just don’t work.
- Baby just won’t take his hand (or something in his hand) out of his mouth
- Baby is biting or gnawing at everything. Well, trying to bite, even if he doesn’t have teeth yet, definitionally.
- Baby can’t fall asleep: he’s in so much pain, he won’t fall asleep
- Baby eats less than usual. The sucking can cause more pain, so he just sucks less — even though he’s still hungry.